Enterprise System Spectator blog: ERP and enterprise system vendor evaluation, selection, and implementation.

The Enterprise System Spectator

Saturday, December 27, 2003

Escaping the ROI trap

A strong ROI is the key to getting management approval for new systems, right? Not always. With the weak economy over the past two years, I've observed a trend in which, many times, executives refuse to approve new system investments no matter how compelling the business case is. I call this the "ROI trap."

What it is
The ROI trap works like this. The user sees a pressing need for a new system and submits a funding request. Executive management reviews the request, agrees that a new system is desirable, but indicates that no funds will be granted without a clear and compelling business case. So the user launches a significant effort to gather data on the projected benefits as well as the expected costs. The user may also enlist the help of an outside consultant and the software vendor, who are all-too-happy to provide an ROI template and participate in the effort to gather data. To avoid surprises, the team interviews executive management to determine reasonable assumptions. The team finally puts together what they think is a compelling business case and makes the presentation to executive management only to see the project shot down, put on hold, or worse--directed to "gather more data."

Why executives don't believe ROI calculations
I've theorized that the ROI trap has to do with the nature of uncertainty surrounding most ROI calculations: that is, the benefits are uncertain, but the costs are absolutely certain. In other words, the decision maker isn't sure of the benefits, but he is quite sure of the costs. So the executive, deep down, doesn't trust the ROI, no matter how compelling it is. In the face of uncertainty, the safe decision is to say no--or, if the decision maker is timid, to ask for more data.

Recently, I've been reading Judgment in Managerial Decision Making by Max Bazerman (2002, John Wiley & Sons), which explains common biases in how managers make decisions. Bazerman's research indicates that people are "naturally risk-averse concerning gains and positively framed questions" and "risk-seeking concerning losses and negatively framed questions." Read that part in italics again, and think about it, because it is the key to understanding the ROI trap.

Bazerman references a study in 1981 where participants were asked to make two decisions. The first decision was between:
  (a) a sure gain of $240, and
  (b) a 25% chance to gain $1000 and a 75% chance to gain nothing.

Result: 84% of the participants chose (a)--the small sure gain rather than the potentially larger gain.

The second decision was between:
  (c) a sure loss of $750, and
  (d) a 75% chance to lose $1000 and a 25% chance to lose nothing.

Result: 87% of the participants chose (d)--the potentially larger loss rather than the smaller guaranteed loss.

Bazerman's research, in plain English, means this: when looking at benefits, people would rather choose a small benefit that is guaranteed rather than a larger benefit that is uncertain. On the other hand, when looking at costs, people would rather choose a greater loss that might NOT happen than a smaller loss that is guaranteed.

Bazerman points out that this is why insurance payments are called "premiums" instead of "guaranteed losses." Think about it. When you buy health insurance you are choosing a small guaranteed loss (the premium) over a great uncertain loss (a large medical bill). But if the premium were designated as a "guaranteed loss," there would probably be a lot less insurance sold, or people would choose higher deductibles (i.e. smaller guaranteed losses.)

In other words, when considering benefits, people generally like to "take the sure bet." But when considering costs, people generally like to say, "I'll take my chances."

Now think about how most new system investments are presented to management. They are presented in terms of guaranteed costs and uncertain benefits, exactly the opposite of what the decision maker finds most appealing. How much more attractive the business case would be if it could be presented with the costs as an "insurance premium" against possible great losses and, at the same time, with some element of "guaranteed benefits."

If Bazerman is correct, then the ROI trap is a threat to many investment decisions. But I suspect that the cash-constrained environment that many businesses have been operating in over the past few years has made the ROI trap more deadly.

How to escape the ROI trap
When you suspect that your new system request is threatened by the ROI trap, I would suggest the following:
  1. Emphasize problems with the current situation and the risks of doing nothing. Frame the business case to highlight the problems, including the worst-case scenario, of staying with the existing system, e.g. loss of vendor support, regulatory non-compliance, inability to meet the needs of the business, need to hire additional headcount, or loss of competitive position. If there are any disaster recovery or business continuity concerns, play those to the hilt. When you're facing the ROI trap, the most likely outcome is "no decision." So, build the case for action first. Otherwise, the rest of the business case will fall on deaf ears.

  2. Structure the deal to reduce fixed costs, especially up-front costs. See if you can move the deal to a subscription model, where many of the upfront software license and implementation costs are amortized over a three or five year period. Where this is not possible, a financing or leasing arrangement can have the same effect. Frame the remaining fixed costs as an "insurance premium" against the problems of the existing system, not as a cost to get future benefits.

  3. Build the ROI around the firm tangible benefits. Even better, show those tangible benefits as a discount against the fixed "insurance premium." For example, show the benefit of not having to pay license fees or maintenance on the existing system--a benefit that is indisputable.

  4. List intangible or soft benefits, such as "improved management decision making," as a secondary category. Let the decision maker himself pull any of those soft benefits back into the primary rationale for the decision. When the ROI trap is threatening, it is better to be criticized for being too conservative than too aggressive.
These tips are no guarantee that the new system will be funded, but they should lessen the chance of your falling into the ROI trap.

Update: Read Part 2 for more on this subject.

by Frank Scavo, 12/27/2003 01:29:00 PM | permalink | e-mail this!

 Reader Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:


Powered by Blogger

(c) 2002-2018, Frank Scavo.

Independent analysis of issues and trends in enterprise applications software and the strengths, weaknesses, advantages, and disadvantages of the vendors that provide them.

About the Enterprise System Spectator.

Frank Scavo Send tips, rumors, gossip, and feedback to Frank Scavo, at .

I'm interested in hearing about best practices, lessons learned, horror stories, and case studies of success or failure.

Selecting a new enterprise system can be a difficult decision. My consulting firm, Strativa, offers assistance that is independent and unbiased. For information on how we can help your organization make and carry out these decisions, write to me.

My IT research firm, Computer Economics provides metrics for IT management, such as IT spending and staffing benchmarks, technology adoption and investment trends, IT management best practices, IT salaries, outsourcing statistics, and more.

Go to latest postings

Search the Spectator!
Join over 1,700 subscribers on the Spectator email list!
Max. 1-2 times/month.
Easy one-click to unsubscribe anytime.

Follow me on Twitter
My RSS feed RSS News Feed

Computer Economics
Outsourcing Statistics
IT Spending and Staffing Benchmarks
IT Staffing Ratios
IT Management Best Practices
Worldwide Technology Trends
IT Salary Report


2014 Best Independent ERP Blog - Winner 2013 Best ERP Writer - Winner Constant Contact 2010 All Star Technobabble Top 100 Analyst Blogs

Key References
Strativa: Business strategy consulting, strategic planning
Strativa: IT strategy consulting
Strativa: Business process improvement, process mapping, consultants
Strativa: IT due diligence
Strativa: ERP software selection consulting and vendor evaluation
Strativa: CRM software selection consulting and vendor evaluation
Strativa: Project management consulting, change management
StreetWolf: Digital creative studio specializing in web, mobile and social applications
Enterprise IT News: diginomica

Spectator Archives
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
September 2012
October 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
September 2013
October 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2014
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
September 2015
October 2015
November 2015
February 2016
May 2016
June 2016
July 2016
August 2016
September 2016
October 2016
January 2017
February 2017
May 2017
June 2017
October 2017
January 2018
April 2018
May 2018
Latest postings